The method of storing potatoes that is dangerous to the human body

The mistake that cost them their lives. An entire family died for an absurd reason. What to NEVER do when storing potatoes.


An eight-year-old Russian girl named Maria Chelysheva was left orphaned after she lost both her parents, her brother, and her grandmother in a tragic incident which took place in their family home.

All four members of the family were killed one by one by deadly gas caused from rotten potatoes.

The first person to enter the cellar where the potatoes were stored was Maria’s father, 42-year-old Mikhail Chelyshev, respected law professor. As he failed to return for quite some time, his wife Anastasia, 38, followed him in order to check out on him. Sadly, she didn’t return back either. This caused suspicion at their son, 18-year-old Georgy, who went into search of his parents but suffered the same tragic death after inhaling the highly toxic fumes released by the rotten potatoes.

Maria’s grandma, 68-year-old Iraida, called a neighbor and asked for help as she knew something was very wrong. After that, she went to the cellar herself and was killed as well.

However, as she entered the cellar, she left the door open and that helped the fumes to dispense. Luckily, when little Maria decided to follow after her family, the gasses weren’t strong enough to harm her.

The shocking tragedy took place at Laishevo, a town near Kazan, in the Russian republic of Tatarstan on the Volga River. 

Local investigator spoke to the media and said, “They all died of gas poisoning which has accumulated in the basement as a result of badly rotting potatoes.”

The potatoes stored at the cellar turned into a chemical bomb that caused the death of four people.

Potatoes contain solanine, a glycoalkaloid, which has a strong toxic action, even in small quantities. This toxin affects the nervous system, causing weakness and confusion.

These compounds are generally concentrated in its leaves, stems, sprouts, and fruits and are partially destroyed with cooking. According to the U.S. National Toxicology Program, the average American consumes at most 12.5 mg/day of solanine from potatoes, a dose several times smaller than the toxic dose.

Please SHARE this story with your family and friends on Facebook.

Bored Daddy

Love and Peace