Excavation begins for remains of 800 infants at former ‘mother and baby home’

The long-awaited forensic excavation has begun at the former “mother and baby home” in County Galway, on the west coast of Ireland, where remains of around 800 infants have been discovered.

It is believed that the babies who died at the institution were dumped into a former sewage tank, known as “the pit.”

The home has been closed for over 60 years and according to reports, the children died there between 1925 and 1961.

Andrew Downes/ ODAIT/ PA Wire

Local historian Catherine Corless was the first to draw attention to what had been happening behind closed doors at the institution, after two 12-year-old boys discovered a septic tank reportedly filled with human bones.

The “mother and baby home” housed women who fell pregnant outside marriage, something that was not acceptable in Ireland at the time. These women were often sent to such institutions at the request of their own families, according to the Daily Mail.

Speaking to Sky News, Corless said she felt “relieved” the excavation process of the 800 infants finally started.

“It’s been a long, long journey,” she told the outlet. “Not knowing what’s going to happen, if it’s just going to fall apart or if it’s really going to happen.”

Local historian Catherine Corless/ Photo by Niall Carson/PA Images via Getty Images

Her findings of the site were made public in 2014.

The news of the babies’ remains made headlines and shocked Ireland.

Reportedly, there were over 10 “mother and baby homes” in Ireland in the past. They took in around 35,000 single women across the decades.

The moms were separated from their babies who were often given up for adoption.

A 2021 investigation revealed a shocking rate of infant deaths in similar institutions nationwide. Allegedly, approximately 9,000 children died in 18 such homes.

Andrew Downes/ ODAIT/ PA Wire

“The church preached to look after the vulnerable, the old and the orphaned, but they never included illegitimate children for some reason or another in their own psyche,” Corless said after The Sisters of Bon Secours, the Catholic order of nuns responsible for operating the Tuam home where excavations have begun, expressed their “profound apologies.”

“I never, ever understand how they could do that to little babies, little toddlers. Beautiful little vulnerable children.”

Please SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook.

Bored Daddy

Love and Peace

Monica Pop
Monica Pop
Monica Pop is a senior writer for Bored Daddy magazine covering the latest trending and popular articles across the United States and around the world.

More from author

Related posts

Latest posts

My wife became distant – then suddenly, she was gone, with only an envelope left in her place

Sometimes, you believe that you know someone better than you know yourself, but that suddenly changes and that person starts feeling like a stranger...

Rude man insults a woman at the airport, not knowing he’ll soon regret it

When Dr. Carter saw a short line at the airport, she felt relieved because she was in a desperate need to catch a flight...

Bill to make tips tax-free

On July 4, 2025, President Donald Trump signed the One Big Beautiful Bill Act (OBBB) into law. Under OBBB, tax reductions worth trillions that were...

80s movie bombshell unrecognizable after quitting fame and escaping stalker nightmare! Can you guess who?

Fans of The Fall Guy might remember Heather Thomas as the stunning stunt double-turned-bounty hunter who shared the screen with Lee Majors in the...

Man’s final wish to see his dog before execution leads to an unforgettable moment that changed everything

A touching story from a rural town found its way to the hearts of many. It wasn't a story of crime and punishment, as...

My bride slipped me a note asking me to ‘say no at the altar’ — it sounded crazy, but I trusted her plan

When I met Emily, I somehow felt that she was the woman I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. From the...