Brother of screaming man sucked into sinkhole in his bedroom reveals devastating final thing he heard

Jeffrey Bush has been presumed dead after he was sucked into a huge 100ft sinkhole that opened beneath his bedroom, causing him to vanish more than eleven years ago.

At the time of the incident, the 37-year-old was asleep in bed at his home in Seffner, Florida.

On the fatal night of February 28, 2013, Jeffrey’s brother Jeremy was startled by a loud crash and rushed into the room only to discover a huge crater where his brother’s bed had been.

ABC Action News

Assuming Jeffrey must have fallen in, Jeremy tried to reach him and climbed in an attempt to rescue his brother but Jeffrey was nowhere to be seen although his screams could be heard.

As the ground around him continued to cave in, Jeremy was pulled to safety by a police officer from the Tampa Police Department and his desperate attempts to save his brother were to no avail.

“The floor was still giving in and the dirt was still going down, but I didn’t care. I wanted to save my brother,” Jeremy told The Guardian at the time. “But I just couldn’t do nothing.

“I could swear I heard him hollering my name to help him.”

ABC Action News

At the time the emergency services arrived, the bedroom had completely crumbled away. “There was no furniture. All he saw was a piece of the mattress sticking up,” a fire rescue spokeswoman.

Equipment was lowered into the sinkhole, but there were no traces of Jeffrey. Experts say that at the surface the sinkhole was about 30 feet across but below the surface it was 100 feet across.

The brothers’ home was later demolished and filled with gravel.

The loss has been devastating for Jeremy and his family, including his wife and daughter who were at the house at the time the sinkhole opened.

“She keeps asking where her Uncle Jeff is,” Jeremy said of his daughter. “I lost everything. I work so hard to support my wife and kid and I lost everything.”

A few years after Jeffrey’s disappearance, the hole opened again and the place was fenced by the authorities as a safety precaution.

In the year 2022, there have been about 27,000 reported sinkhole incidents across the state of Florida, as per the Florida Department of Environmental Protection database.

Please SHARE this article with your family and friends on Facebook.

Bored Daddy

Love and Peace

Monica Pop
Monica Pop
Monica Pop is a senior writer for Bored Daddy magazine covering the latest trending and popular articles across the United States and around the world.

More from author

Related posts

Latest posts

Carville doubts Harris can mount a 2028 bid following presidential defeat

James Carville, a veteran Democratic strategist and architect behind Bill Clinton's 1992 presidential victory, delivered a blunt message that has stirred conversation within the...

Everyone laughed at her after someone snapped a photo of her fall at the grocery store

Very often, people who don't seem to fit in what is considered 'normal' by the society get judged and are made fun of by...

Hurricane Erin tracker reveals seven states most at risk as experts issue deadly warning

With Hurricane Erin heading towards the mainland, millions of Americans across seven states are being urged to prepare for the threat. According to meteorologists,...

Shocking footage captures flames bursting from a plane’s engines as terrified passengers describe sending ‘goodbye texts’

Plane graveling from Corfu, Greece to Düsseldorf, Germany, was forced to make a an emergency landing in Brindisi, Italy, after passengers noticed flames coming from...

The surprising truth about eating eggs every day

When it comes to eggs, it's safe to say they are one of the foods surrounded by much controversy. The reason is that, over...

What causes night cramps and how to fix the problem

Muscle cramps are sudden spasms of the muscles that cause pain. And while they are not usually harmful, they cause an uncomfortable feeling due...